Divisi Chamber Singers is a youth-led, not-for-profit organisation that supports early-career creative artists. We strive to break down established norms of classical music through commissioning and performing innovative creative works and projects. At heart, Divisi is a chamber vocal ensemble with a focus on the career development of its members, and of other Australian creatives. Due to the relative lack of queer representation in classical music, we maintain a special interest in initiatives that elevate local LGBTQ+ artists. To this end, our ensemble has launched its inaugural professional development program, Compose Queer, which commissions four young queer composers to write for Divisi, and provides workshopping and development opportunities from LGBTQ+ industry professionals. Such projects give agency and professional development to composers and our members, accelerating their musical success. Divisi also maintains an active interest in pushing boundaries within the largely conservative medium of classical music performance.
- to develop the musical skill and ability of our singers
- to provide an amateur professional consort singing experience to our singers
- to develop the artistic direction and management skills of the artistic staff
- to support contemporary Australian music and composers
- to develop a professional sound as a group
- to provide opportunities for young people in the music industry