Divisi is an octet founded in 2019 by Bailey Montgomerie and Alex Gorbatov whilst studying at the University of Melbourne. The group was conceived after Bailey and Alex ran and rehearsed an octet for a charity concert, Songs of Home and Refuge (Nov 2018), in support of Refugee Council Australia. The experience provided both with professional experience they craved and the aspiration to perform consort music to a high standard.
Over the following summer, the duo found the name Divisi and organised their debut concert, Tallis to Tavener (May 2019).
As Divisi evolved, the group became focused on the unique experience it gave to both the administration and the singers. There is a limited ability to gain experience in musical direction, artistic management, and consort singing at university and this group provides all three in droves.
- to develop the musicianship of every singer involved
- to provide consort singing experience to every singer involved
- to develop the artistic direction and management skills of the artistic staff
- to support contemporary Australian music and composers
- to perform vocal music at a professional standard
- to provide opportunities for young people in the music industry